Saturday, November 15, 2008

Lets Count our blessings

All of us worry over details, minor ones, money lost or spent, the missing file, the class missed by our daughters, the marks they have lost and the how they react to us or others. I do too, I worry endlessly over minute issues and miss the whole macro picture -- The wonderful day we have had today, the smile from our loved ones, and the sun shining down upon us...
Till this Thursday...when I was jolted out of my obsession over minor challenges in life. We were at a friend's place,enjoying ourselves, just talking, when a lady and her 3 daughters made an entry. The youngest of the three was the most striking with a huge endearing smile on her face, that made you want to hug her. She was in my younger ones class and that made me want to know more about the kid and the mother and hence I started a conversation with her. It seemed difficult, because the lady was obviously very troubled about something. She semed tired, stressed out and even jerky when reacting to any queries.
I asked her how she felt about the class in general, (the perfect way to break the ice) but she replied that her child was not too regular going to the school as she was sick most of the time. I nodded in agreement and told her aout N's constant bouts of cold. She had a pained expression in her face and told us that her 4 year old was suffering from Leukaemia. I felt myself go cold, well, it wasn't just me, I could feel the silence and the shock, moving like a thick blanket, around the room...
And she said that, that particular day was quite bad with her blood count slightly low. Well, yes, I know, this is what happens around us, but ón a 'normal' Thursday night, when you meet a 'normal' four year who is suffering from this deadly disease, you are, struck dumb!
This made me reflect on my list of worries...which looks small, even tiny and worthless...
Life is so precious, lets celebrate each moment of it, enjoy the nuances of life, talk to our husbands, look into their eyes and talk, kiss our kids once more, hug them a lot more and be happy with we have.
Lets also pray for this tiny child, who has no clue of what ails her, just wants to go to school regularly, play with kids her age...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't you feel that life...GOD(am not a believer)is very very unfair!!!I saw that you were very affected that day...but what was a matter of concern for me was the plight of the 2 elder sisters of the child who are being deprived of their mother's love and attention....The kid was so happy...ailing but cheerful...That is the name of the game,Sindhu and the biggest challenge in life-TO BE ABLE TO LAUGH OFF EVERYTHING THAT HURTS AND TO BE ABLE TO SPREAD HAPPINESS INSPITE OF ALL THE TROUBLES YOU FACE/FACED/WILL FACE!!!!

sindhu said...

Thanks ya, Leela...

sindhu said...

That is an art, I am perfecting, to laugh off everything, even matters that hurt...but I am still to master it!

Unknown said...

Want a tutor????